*It is with deep regret that Gideon’s Promise announces that cancellation of our 2020 Summer Training Institute. Please check our website for future updates regarding a virtual public defender conference.
CORE 101 is the foundation of the Gideon’s Promise programming new participants begin the program at Summer Institute, a 14-day “boot camp,” which is designed to be taught in three segments:
- Segment 1 – The ethics and professionalism of public defense
- Segment 2 – Pretrial practice and trial preparation
- Segment 3 – Trial advocacy and persuasion
Each year during the Summer Training Institute Gideon’s Promise selects a new class to join our growing community public defenders. This dedicated group come together initially at Summer Training Institute and meets one weekend every six months over the course of the three-year program. Each participant is assigned a public defender mentor. This support is supplemented via an online community through which they can share resources, victories, challenges, and other information.
- For more detailed information about the CORE 101 Program, please click HERE to view our brochure.
- Once you begin the application, it must be completed. You are unable to save the application and return to it at a later time. We have provided a pdf of the CORE 101 Essay Questions, so that you can prepare your answers without entering the application.
- Please click HERE to review the CORE 101 FAQ, this document has detailed information about the application and the CORE 101 process.
The CORE 101 Application is CLOSED!
CORE 101 APPLICATION